Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

On paying grumpy taxi drivers who don't want to take a wheelchair

I needed to take a taxi from Bradley International Airport (Hartford, CT) to a local hotel (Holiday Inn Express) since they don't have an accessible shuttle. The taxi controller offered to call a handicapped accessible taxi but I opted for a car that was already there. Boy - did that guy not want to take me! He made every excuse, insisting that the chair would not fit etc. etc. But I forced the issue and off we went on a short, grumpy ride to the hotel. But then I had a dilemma - do I pay him well to show him that us wheelies reward service, or do I give him the fare and no tip because of his grumpy attitude and unpleasant manner?

I paid him well in the hope that he would change the next time he was faced with a chair. But did I do right?

No comments:

Post a Comment